STAY INFORMED/ GET INVOLVED
Submit your comments.
- Provide feedback at 360-337-5293.
- Sign-up to receive Kitsap Electronic Notifications (KENS) on the process, such as meeting announcements.
LOCAL MEDIA COVERAGE
(subscription may be required)
Kitsap Sun (3/11/16)
Kitsap Sun (3/3/16)Kitsap Sun (2/3/16)
Did you know…
There are more than 500 brands and more than 7,000 flavors of vaping liquids, but there are no regulations on the manufacturing or use of vaping products.
Vaping & Vaping Products Ordinance - Updated 5/5/16
As you may have seen in the Kitsap Sun, during their meeting May 3, the Kitsap Public Health Board agreed to move forward on the local vaping ordinance restricting vaping indoors in public spaces such as workplaces, transit vehicles, bars and restaurants. The Board asked the Kitsap Public Health District to remove the provision allowing restaurants and bars to apply for a waiver which would have allowed vaping indoors if certain conditions were met.
It is important to note that vaping product retailers that are licensed by the Washington State Liquor & Cannabis Board are not covered by this local ordinance, and are allowed to have vaping in their locations, as allowed in the new state law, SB 6328.
The Board will hold a formal hearing on the ordinance during their regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, June 7, starting at 1:45 p.m. The meeting agenda will be posted on the District's website no later than Thursday, June 2.
5/23/16 Update: The proposed vapor products ordinance has been revised.
Summary of Revisions: Sections 4 and 6 were amended to provide transition time for existing vapor product retailers for the period between when the ordinance becomes effective and the state license application and issuance period. This change will allow vapor product retailers in existence prior to the effective date of this ordinance to be be exempt from prohibiting the use vapor products in their stores while they are waiting for the state to issue them a license.
Public review and comment on the new draft ordinance is desired and will be accepted through Friday, May 27, 2016. Comments should be submitted to the Health District:
1) Online at www.kitsappublichealth.org/vaping
2) Via phone by calling 360-337-5293
3) Via mail:
Kitsap Public Health District
ATTN: Vaping Ordinance Feedback
345 6th Street Suite 300, Bremerton, WA 98337
To receive electronic updates (via email, text or both) about this ordinance, we encourage you to sign-up for our vaping ordinance list serve.
Learn more about vaping and e-cigarettes
- Proposed Kitsap Public Health District Vapor Products Ordinance: Responsiveness Record
- NBC News: E-cigarettes deliver harmful chemicals
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center: Ecigs a gateway to smoking
- Washington State Dept. of Health E-Cigarette resources
- Myths and Facts about E-Cigs
- E-Cigarettes and lung health
- CDC: E-cigarettes and youth
- Snohomish County Health District Vaping & Vaping Products website
- US Surgeon General: Robbing the Future
- CDC Cessation Help
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinal "Gasping for Action" article
- Summary of Key Areas of Vapor Product Research
- Harvard Guide to Using Sources